Posted by Eco-Wares Staff on 4/22/2013 to
Trojan Masonry Sealer
Bradly Lewis Home Maintenance Inc. of Portland, OR is an applicator that uses our Trojan Masonry Sealer with his services. Below is an excerpt from his website, which provides an excellent description of why sealing your driveway with a penetrating concrete sealer is important.
How sealing your concrete driveway helps you
I have access to wholesale prices on the best of these sealers, the polyester, because I purchase in large volumes. Polyester is the best sealer because it has a 15 year guarantee, penetrates the masonry or concrete to depth of up to 2 inches (Eco-Wares Staff Note: depth can be greater than 2 inches depending on porosity of substrate and amount of product applied), hardens the surface and is not subject to UV damage in the way top coating sealers (acrylic, silicas, silicates) are exposed.
- Sealing minimize pebbles popping out from aggregate concrete by hardening surrounding cement
- It minimizes erosion of cement from pressure washing and rain
- Reduced cracking by strengthening concrete and encouraging water to flow off the surface
- It slows weathering and breaking up of existing crack edges by hardening the concrete
- The sealer reduces potential for staining (oil stains) because fewer air pores are available to be filled
- Sealer seals driveway by providing a harder surface with fewer pores which makes cleanings easier.
- It helps concrete look more uniform by increasing hardness and minimizing wear
- Concrete sealer slows subconcrete soil erosion by keeping the surface water on top
- Sealer hardens the concrete and makes it more resistant to wear
- Sealer fills air pores, slows water absorption and minimizes seepage of water to feed algae after the rains
- Sealer slows growth of mildew in same way
- It is safer to walk on because of reduced slipperiness from mildew and algae
- Save money and time by going longer between concrete cleanings
Drip lines on driveway by garage door from gutter water eroding the concrete.
Hardening the concrete with a sealer and keeping the gutters clean helps keep the concrete keep a more uniform appearance for longer.
What Type of Sealer Should be Used
There are several types of concrete or masonry sealers: Acrylic (topcoat), Silica / Silicate (surface, and slightly penetrating) and long-lasting polyester (Eco-Wares Staff Note: This is the Trojan Masonry Sealer )
|Sealer Type||Typical Duration||Hardens surface|
|Polyester||>Last minimum of 15 Years||Yes|
The Purpose of the SealerThe purpose of the sealer is to preserve the concrete and keep it looking nice.
AstheticsSince the polyester sealer penetrates the concrete, it does not give a sheen like acrylic sealers do. Since it fills up more of the pores in the concrete, the concrete stays cleaner longer. Since the concrete is more water-resistant, it doesn't provide as much water to support the growth of mildew, algae and moss.
Durability of Concrete and Masonry SealerThe polyester based sealer penetrates the concrete to strengthen the surface 1-2 inches. This makes the surface harder (easier to clean) and also helps the concrete withstand the brute force of pressure-washing in the future.
Making Concrete Easier to CleanSince the polyester sealer penetrates the concrete 1-2 inches, this fills more of the pores in the concrete which makes it more resistant to water. This also makes the concrete surface easier to clean because there are not as many pores for the dirt to fill up. The dirt stays more on the surface. The harder surface allows it to be cleaned with a pressure-washer quicker too.